Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Remorseful

Two definitions.

They seem so similar, but they're so different.

Life vs. Death, in fact.

Remorse:A Feeling of deep regret

Repentance: A change of thought and action to correct a wrong and gain forgiveness from a person who is wronged

Regret --remorse-- is not enough. This is displayed in Matthew chapter 27.

In the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death: and when they had bound him, they led him away and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.

When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders, saying, "I have sinned in that I have betrayed innocent blood."

And they said, "What is that to us?|

And Judas cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.*
Judas was remorseful. So remorseful, in fact, that he couldn't live with himself after what he had done. So he went out and hanged himself. He was sorry, but he didn't repent.

I hate to admit it, but that's me. I'm sorry over my sins, but I don't do anything about it. I don't change my thoughts and actions to correct wrongs. I just feel sorry and keep going.

I'm a modern-day Judas in my own way.

It's time for some real repentance in my life. Some real growth. What about you?


*[Matthew 27:1-5, paraphrased]

P.S. Go check out this great post: Is My Price Above Rubies?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was really good Em, thank you for your transparency! I know without a doubt that if you pray for Gods help in this, you'll get it =) and I'll be praying too, because I definitely needed this!

    P.S. How come you can always get your point across in so fewer words than I? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Emily. I really enjoy posts like this. And like Bailey said, it takes some guts to admit that over the World Wide Web.

    One thing the great revival preacher Charles Finney wrote is, "Hell is full of sorry people." There's something to chew on.

    -Kyrstin


    BTW - can you update me about your dad? I got the first email asking for prayer and a week later I sent you one asking how he's doing and how you are doing. Hope to TTYS! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!