Thursday, March 17, 2011

March of Books - The Count of Monte Cristo

I know that The Count of Monte Cristo has come up on several occasions here at The Ramblings of Emily Rose. The reason for that, quite simply, is that I love the story so much! So I thought that I should say a few words about it for the March of Books. =D

Many people are intimidated by the massive size of Alexandre Dumas' Count, but those that manage to get through it pretty nearly always love it. All but one of my friends are big fans of Edmond Dantes. (As far as I know, anyhow... there are a few friends with whom the subject has not yet come up.)



Unjustly thrown into prison as a young man, Edmond Dantes loses everything. Everything. But a gift from a dying Abbe Faria gives Edmond the chance, not to regain what was lost, but to seek vengeance from those who took it from him. What follows is an exciting tale of one man seeking to destroy those who destroyed him. Edmond learns, however, that in destroying others he is also destroying the life that he has found for himself and the friendships he has formed. This leads to a drastic change of heart which leads Edmond to say in a letter to one of his dearest friends:
Tell the angel who will watch over your future destiny, Morrel, to pray sometimes for a man, who like Satan thought himself for an instant equal to God, but who now acknowledges with Christian humility that God alone possesses supreme power and infinite wisdom. Perhaps those prayers may soften the remorse he feels in his heart.
I think that The Count of Monte Cristo is one of the best works of fiction to ever be written.



Join the March of Books here!

1 comment:

  1. Emily- I'd love to follow your blog, but I don't know how! Is the button right under my nose and I just can't see it, or do I have to do something else to follow you?

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!