Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Youtube Tuesday - Grace

I was seven years old and I didn't really understand why my mom was so sad. I enjoyed our long drive down to Denver, but I was really bored with the whole memorial thing. So a bunch of people had died? I didn't know any of them, so I didn't really care. Mom hadn't known them either. Or Dad. Nobody I knew had ever seen these kids. So why were we wasting our time here? And then... my attitude changed. I'm still not sure which of the victims it was, but when we stopped by her memorial, I saw a stuffed animal that was the same as my favorite. Something clicked inside of me. Even though I didn't know these victims, other people did know them. The girls liked stuffed animals, reading, nail polish, etc.

Each of those pictures represented a life that had been ended by the brutal rampage of two teenage boys.

It was eleven years ago today that Columbine High School became a national headline. The murderers and the murdered are still remembered today. The grief of the loved ones who were left behind is still there, even eleven years later. But for some, the grief is mixed with the joy that they will see their child in Heaven. God's grace has helped some families to overcome the effects of the worst day of their lives.

In other portions of the country, other families have relied on God's grace in similar situations. A recent movie showed this, taking us to Pennsylvania and the Amish families affected by the school shooting that took place over three years ago.






This movie wasn't completely accurate, but what movie is? And it carries a great message of forgiveness. I'd recommend it to anybody! And... if you're even just a little bit like me, make sure you have a box of kleenex within reach. I cried from start to finish!

[Note: As far as I know, there are no plans to release this on DVD. Go here to watch the movie online. I had my grandpa record it for me. =)]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!