Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April is the Month

I love history. A lot. A lot a lot. So it's no surprise that I'm subscribed to Wikipedia's "This Day in History" email. I get it every day and enjoy reading the headlines from hundreds of years ago. Sometimes I get frustrated because they leave stuff out... but that's besides the point. =P

Anyhow... April is a good month for things happening! You've got the liberation of major concentration camps in the 1940s... the sinking of the Titanic in 1912... the end of the American Civil War... Columbine... the beginning of the American Revolution... King Henry the VIII ascending to the throne (that's today, by the way. I mean... today a long time ago!)... Abraham Lincoln assassinated... etc etc etc

Okay... I could be writing about King Henry, but I'm not. Instead, I'm choosing another famous thing that happened on April 21.


The Red Baron!


















Oh... wrong one. LOL ;)


















This is Manfred Albrecht von Richthofen, known to most people as "The Red Baron" or "The Red Devil." He was a German pilot during the second world war and has been credited with at least 80 victories in air combat. That's pretty much a record. The only thing I don't like about this guy is that... he was working for the wrong team. Something I found interesting: "After his first confirmed victory, Richthofen ordered a silver cup engraved with the date and the type of enemy machine from a jeweller in Berlin. He continued this until he had 60 cups, by which time the supply of silver in blockaded Germany was restricted." [This is a quote from wikipedia] Hmm... maybe a bit of a pride issue or something? Anyhow... he was shot and killed on April 21.

Anyhow, the reason I'm doing this post is because I have a question: Why Red Baron? I mean... the pizza. Why would an American-based food company want to name their product after a Nazi pilot? The Nazi government was everything that Americans have fought against from the beginning.

I turned to my best friend, Google, for the answer. And I honestly didn't come up with much. But I do have an idea. Look at the Red Baron pizza box. Look at the picture beneath. Same guy? Ahm... No. As one person put it, the Pizza Baron is "substantially unlike Richthofen." So my idea is this: maybe the hero on the pizza box is called the Red Baron just to make everyone think he's invincible, but he really has nothing to do with the German pilot? LOL What do you think?

P.S. I haven't been getting many comments lately... are my posts that bad? I know I'm not taking as much time on them, but I'm trying to graduate in a few weeks, everybody! =P I don't have time to do well-thought posts!

P.P.S. Thanks to those of you who have commented! You're the best!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, now that was an interesting post. I love History as well... I'd never heard of a person named Red Baron. Used to eat that pizza allll the time. =P

    No, your posts aren't that bad. I suspect that a few (or at least one) of your readers is also trying to finish school so she can graduate. ;)

    Though I can't wait till you graduate because I miss your emails! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha!! That pizza 'mistake' made me laugh out loud!

    Hehe... I ought not read my subscriptions while doing school... I'm going to get caught laughing for "no reason"....lol. =P

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!