Friday, April 16, 2010

"I Walk Alone"

Sorry for double-posting, but I felt that my last post really wasn't too great, so I decided to quick crank out something else. hehe This post isn't anything marvelous, either. But here it is!


So far as teenagers go today, I'm pretty strange. In some things, I'm definitely not alone. In other things, like today's topic, I think I'm one in a million. I've only met one other person who is like me in this respect (in my age group, that is). So... what is this thing that separates me from pretty much every other teenage girl I know? Radio. Like... 1930s, '40s, and '50s radio. I love it!

Whether I'm bored during the day, can't sleep at night, or have a long wait for something, old-time radio is one of my favorite cures. What's great is that most of these shows are available as free podcasts on iTunes or are somewhere in the vast realm of the world wide web. If you're interested in these old programs, I'd suggest checking out one of the following:

Box 13
Dragnet
I Was a Communist for the F. B. I.
Boston Blackie
Casey, Crime Photographer

There are lots of other radio shows out there. Those just happen to be some of my (current) favorites! I also listen to The Shadow; Barry Craig, Confidential Investigator; Jeff Regan, Investigator; The Adventures of Philip Marlowe; Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar; Rocky Fortune; Broadway is my Beat; Have Gun, Will Travel; and... what is the name of that show with the main character named George Valentine? I can't remember! But that's a good one, too. It's nagging me that there's another one, but I guess that's a good enough list for now. You should really look into it so I won't be alone any more. hehe

And since most of you probably won't know this, I'll tell you: The title of this post comes from one of my favorite shows, I Was a Communist for the F. B. I. At the end of every episode, Matt Cvetic (voiced by Dana Andrews) says, "As a communist for the F. B. I., I walk alone." In both the radio show and real life, Mr. Cvetic wasn't allowed to tell anyone (including his family) that he worked for the F. B. I. Because of this, everyone thought that he actually was a communist. This estranged him from some of his family and his wife divorced him. =( It's really sad to think about, so I'm glad that in the radio program Matt isn't married and his family only comes in on occasion. Anyhow... Enough said on that. I don't want to bore you to tears.

As an interesting side note: I was looking up Casey, Crime Photographer the other day and I found this very interesting quote about the 1950's attempt at a TV show: "The cast of Crime Photographer didn’t go down fighting. They took off for the hills. [The show] was so bad that it was never re-run, and that’s saying something when you recall the caliber of television programs in those days." =-O

1 comment:

  1. Hey, can you please tell me how you got the scrolling button thing on your sidebar? thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!