Thursday, March 18, 2010

Our World Explained

She takes the knife and slits her wrists. The cuts aren't deep - she won't die - she's done this many times before. The scars line up like ladder steps.

He puts on his eyeliner. It's heavy blackness matches his t-shirt and baggy pants. The empty gaze that meets him in the mirror reflects a night of wild partying. But no one cares.

He laughs as he pushes past the speed limit, his companions laughing and yelling their encouragement. This high is like none other. And the speed... He'll never tire of the speed.

She takes a deep breath and nods her head in acceptance. She'll be at his house tonight. Who cares if she ends up pregnant?

Want me to paint more pictures? I can. Why? Because this is the world we live in. And it can be summed up in just three words. Three words that almost made me cry.

I was on my way home from the chiropractor this afternoon when we passed a train. The bold green graffiti letters refused to be ignored. Someone, somewhere, recognized the problem and stated it for the world to see.

Photobucket

The question?

What are YOU going to do about it?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. How sad. I pray that God will show me how to reach out to this generation. It is so lost... and alone.

    Thanks for the reminder, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is heartbreaking to consider how lost people are around us. What I find even more sad is the lack of Christ like willingness in us as Christians to reach out to such people! I know that personallly it is so much easier to look the other way rather than getting caught up in helping them. The "least of these" are everywhere but it is so easy to look the other way unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!