Friday, March 9, 2012

More Than One Way to Skin a Cat

I am by no means a world traveler, yet in the past few years I have seen a few different cultures in my treks across these United States. Even though I have spent the majority of my time with other "normal" Americans, I always find it fascinating how differently people live.

There are certain things that we all do all of the time. Basic things, but there are so many ways to accomplish one goal. I love to study how people live and how they make their lives work out. I like to see if one way of doing something is any better than another. If you are not like that, this post will probably be rather boring to you!

Dirty dishes. They are a part of life for every person I know. But there are so many ways to deal with them! (Other than letting them sit for an age and a day) Here are a few of the methods I have seen:

1: "They were never dirty" method. As soon as you have a stack of dishes, dump them in a sink, wash them, dry them, and put them away as quickly as possible. This will leave your kitchen counters clean and make it look like you never used the dishes to start with!

2: "Kill 'it' before 'it' kills you" method. Wash every fleck of food off of your dishes, then let them soak in a sanitizing sink for a minute or two. After this, place them in a sanitized rack to dry. NO TOWELS. TOWELS HAVE CONTAMINATION!

3: "All about the bubbles" method: No sink full of water here! Squirt a little dish soap into your rag, wash a dish. Rinse the dish. Repeat. Again. And again. And again. Because you have nothing better to spend your money on than dish soap.

4: "Pre-Caveman" method: The nice thing about this method is that you don't really need any tools. These people just need soap and water in their sink. They use their fingers and fingernails to get the dishes clean, then stack them in the other sink to dry. (No drying rack) This, my friends, will totally creep out the "kill it before it kills you" type because 'no sink is ever clean even if it looks clean'... =P

5: "It's all food anyhow" method: If you used that pot for gravy and let it sit all night, that's fine. Gravy is edible. Go ahead and make your oatmeal in the same pot in the morning. You'll eventually wash the pot when it's actually necessary.

Which method do you use? I think that my method is sort of a combination of the above. =) 

Now aren't you looking forward to my post on ways to brush teeth? 

P. S. A couple of these are slightly exaggerated for affect. I'm not picking on anybody! =D


1 comment:

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!