Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Projects for a Bookworm

Every once in awhile you may end up with a book that you don't want or already have. You may even end up with a book that's in bad condition. There are many ways to deal with these situations: eBay, paperback swap, the recycle bin, donating to the thrift store, etc. Today I'm going to share three projects that I have done with books that I didn't need.


Project One: The Hideaway 
You need: A book, a 3x5 card, an X-acto knife

This is probably the simplest of the three projects. Simply find a book that you don't want and open it up several pages in (I used an old beat up copy of The Count of Monte Cristo and started at page 100). Grab a 3x5 card and trace it on the page, then take an X-acto knife and cut through the pages until you reach your desired depth (I did 250-300 pages).


Project Two: The Invisible Shelf
You need: A book (I prefer hardcover), an 'L' bracket, a carpet knife (or other tough knife), small flat head screws, large screws, tape measure or ruler, glue

This is a more detailed project. Here are the instructions that I used! My shelf won't hold as many books as one of the pictures shown because I bought a cheaper/less sturdy 'L' bracket. That's okay with me, though... it's still pretty cool!


Project Three: A Novel Vase
You need: A novel-length book (preferably paperback) , glue, X-acto knife, vase template (I used this for my template)

First: Remove the cover of the book.
Second: Cut your vase template in half and line the flat side up with the binding side of the book. Trace.
Third: Using the X-acto knife, cut along the traced line a few pages at a time.
Fourth: When you have cut through the entire book, use the glue to affix the back and front to each other to round out your vase.

Note: I used an old 735 page copy of Daniel Deronda. It was the thickest book I had that I was willing to cut up. Even so, the vase barely fits my index finger... so if you want a vase that will hold a bouquet of flowers, you're going to need a GINORMOUS novel or several novels of the same size. =)

I just made my vase this week, so I don't have anything to put in it yet. I'll let you know when I do find something! I'll also see if I can come up with a few extra ideas on what to put in a vase that's no bigger than a finger. =) Do you have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!