Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March of Books - Fireproof

I found this book at the thrift store one day and decided to read it. I had loved the message of the movie and was curious whether or not the book was exactly the same or a little different.

It was different in many ways, but without changing the story too much except for... Well, we'll get to that.

The thing I liked most about the book was getting a bit more into people's heads. Although the movie does an okay job portraying what a character is going through, everything is visual. Whereas in a book, you can read what someone is thinking.

Another thing I love about the book is that if I'm in the mood for some Fireproof, I can just read my favorite parts without having to stick in a DVD.

BUT... all of those good things were pretty much counteracted by the end. The end was awful. I can't even believe that something so cheesy and so-not-real-life even made it into this book! (This is your cue to stop reading if you don't want any spoilers.)

I assume that most of you have seen the movie. You know how Caleb was saving up for a boat? And how he finally communicated to his wife that his love really was back and there to stay was that he spent all of his hard-earned savings on medical stuff for her mom? Sweetest thing in the movie. Nothing touches me like self-sacrifice. Nothing.

And the book ruined that. Caleb wins the stinkin' boat on Wheel of Fortune! Maybe that won't bother some people. I probably am going way overboard with my dislike of this turn of events. But I hate hate hate it.

It's a good book if you leave that off, though!

[[March of Books]]

3 comments:

  1. He wins his boat in Wheel of Fortune?!!! When I read that I was like, "How stupid". ;) Gosh, that would totally ruin the book for me! I like the movie ending WAY better!

    ~Haley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that's ridiculous! Thank goodness the movie didn't end that way. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the movie - the story is great, but I find it odd they would add something so cheesy into the book!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!