Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Unchanging

[Note: This post is from January 6. I hit 'save' instead of 'publish', so it's just been sitting around for over a month.]

My youth group is going through the alphabet on Wednesday nights, describing the characteristics of God that can be found with each letter. Pastor Jono encouraged everyone to keep a list telling just who God is to us personally. I decided that I would make a list here on my blog as God shows Himself real to me in different ways throughout the next year.

So... without further ado, I bring you the first part of God's character that has meant a lot to me over the past week.

My God is Unchanging.


Doesn't that just blow your mind? I mean, think about it. I, for one, tend to brag in my journal things like this:

Today I was very patient with Seth. All day long! I don't think I lost my temper once with anyone. Wish I had more days like this.

I was kept very busy today. I love days when I get a lot done, they make me feel more worthwhile.
Etc etc etc

Want to know something, though?

The day after I write things like that? I am very impatient. Completely lazy. Because of my changeable human nature, I cannot even be consistent in one good thing for multiple days in a row.

But God?

God is completely perfect in everything every. single. day. He is ALWAYS patient. ALWAYS holy. ALWAYS loving.

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. - Hebrews 13:8

I said, O my God, take me not away in the midst of my days: thy years are throughout all generations. Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens [are] the work of thy hands. They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end. -Psalm 102:24-27

It reminds me of one of my favorite songs:
Who spread out the clouds before Him?
Who fashioned the earth with His hands?
Who created the starry host, and formed the earth with His command?
Who scatters the lightning before Him, commands the rain and snow to fall?
Who makes the nations tremble?
Who is Lord over all?

He is Almighty, Unchangeable God,
King of kings, Lord of lords, robed in majesty.
He rules and reigns for all eternity,
Almighty, Unchangeable God.

He is like the light at sunrise,
Like the brightness after the rain,
Seated on His heav’nly throne above.
His glory fills the heavens;
He is exalted over all,
Yet He loves me with an everlasting love.

He is Almight, Unchangeable God,
King of kings, Lord of lords, robed in majesty.
HE rules and reigns for all eternity,
Almighty, Unchangeable God.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post, Emily. :) I too have struggle with impatience. And like you said, on our own, we can't conquer it. But with the help of the One who is unchanging, we can. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!