Friday, January 28, 2011

Blessings Undeserved

People make mistakes. I make mistakes.

All the time.

I tend to make the same excuse for others as well as myself. "We're only human," I say, "Of course we can't be perfect."

And it's true. Not a one of us can be perfect until we reach Heaven.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

This past week I have become increasingly aware of my selfishness, my complaining, and my general lack of concern for anything that doesn't immediately affect my own satisfaction and comfort. My apathy, if you want to put it simply.

Something else I've noticed?

My Lord.

I grumbled and groaned and decided I didn't have time to read my Bible.

       He gave me a productive day and an opportunity to bless others when I was so focused on myself.

I whined and complained about tasks that needed to be done and did not apply myself wholeheartedly.

       He sent someone to praise me for ... a job well done?

I carried my burdens, not willing to share them with Him, though He was willing to take them.

       He sent me a friend to talk to.

All week it seemed as though every time my mood or my heart was wrong, God sent me what I wanted anyhow. Or what I needed. The guilt of praise I didn't deserve. The blessing that comes from helping others when I wanted to look only at myself. The companionship of an earthly friend when I forgot my Heavenly Friend.

Did I deserve any of it?

Not a chance.

Yet my Lord blessed me.

How has He blessed you?

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Emily!

    Let's see... The Lord has blessed me by giving me a mom to talk to so I could figure out a situation. And He gave me a chance to forgive and forget... Aren't those situations always blessings in disguise?

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!