Friday, October 8, 2010

Hooray for History!!!

Today is the anniversary of one of my favorite stories in all history. I do kinda have a lot of favorites, but this is near the top of my favorites list. :)

A lot of people I talk to have never heard of Sergeant Alvin York. Maybe you never heard of him yourself. But his is a story that I would highly recommend.

I was first introduced to Sergeant York through the old black and white film, which I love. Because his story interested me so much, I got the book that includes York's journal.

Al York was a crack shot, but he had a drinking problem. He wasn't really a great guy, to tell the truth. But then he got saved. It made all the difference in the world. Getting his life cleaned up and serving in church, he really had become a new creature.

Not too long after York accepted Christ he was drafted to fight in World War One. Because he was intent on following Christ and knew that killing was against the Bible, York appealed the draft. After a denial, he went to training camp.

Long story short (because I'm a bit busy with Florida life), York found that sometimes the only way to prevent killing was to kill. When most of his troop was wiped out in France, he almost single-handedly captured 132 German soldiers. I can't even tell you how incredible the story is. Of course, the movie makes it even more incredible than it really was. Movies tend to do that.

Anyhow, if you're not familiar with Sergeant York, you should read the book and watch the movie! They're both pretty good. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!