Monday, August 30, 2010

Pulling Down Strongholds

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) casting down imaginations, and every high things that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
Last night at church, my pastor preached a message titled "Demolishing Strongholds" from this passage in 2 Corinthians. It was a message that I really needed to hear and I would encourage any of you who have time to go and listen to it yourselves. [The link takes you to the audio portion of the church website. Right now the sermon is at the top, but if you're reading this after Wednesday, look for a message titled "Strongholds 2 Cor 10:3-5]

One of the quotes that pastor shared really stood out to me:
A stronghold is something in your life that you know is not pleasing God that you feel powerless to change.
-Mark Schmidt
I have to admit that I have a stronghold (or two or three) in my life. And they give me seemingly endless grief. But it's true. I feel totally powerless to change.

Here is the list that Pastor made for tearing down strongholds:
  1. Acknowledge the stronghold
  2. Grieve over it
  3. Repent/confess
  4. Claim the cleansing of Christ's blood
  5. Ask God to reclaim the ground on which your stronghold is built
  6. Tear down the strongholds with truth (Deal with whatever it is that may encourage you to run to your stronghold)
  7. Build fortresses of truth (memorize scripture)
  8. Fully forgive your offenders
This week I'm working on my strongholds. Again. And I'll have to work at them some more next week. Maybe eventually it'll get easier. For now, though, I covet your prayers.

What about you? Do you have strongholds in your life? Are you seeking to destroy them? If so, let me know and I'll be happy to pray for you as we tear down strongholds together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!