Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Well-Meant Shortcut

Last night my mom wasn't feeling well. She's actually been a bit under the weather for a few days, now. Anyway, I was putting Seth to bed for her so that she didn't have to get off the couch. We sang "Only a Boy Named David", then Seth prayed. And I was humbled.

"Please be with Grandpa and Grandma S. Keep them safe and in good health. Be with Grandpa and Grandma O. Keep them safe and in good health. Please help my sisters with their school. Help mommy to feel better. I pray for Grace that you would keep her safe and in good health. Keep her family safe and in good health. I pray for Bailey to keep her safe and in good health and her family to be safe and in good health...."

Get the picture? Each of his friends (and my friends!) and their families got their own prayer slot.

I love my friends. I pray for my friends. There are many many times that I will pray for them individually. But to tell the truth, most of the time I don't want to think of each individual and pray for every one of them separately. But of course I don't want to leave anyone out. So my normal prayer sounds something like this: "Dear God, please be with all of my friends and my family...." Everyone is covered, and in a shorter amount of time for me.

Go back to my earlier statement. I love my friends. How much do I love them? Do I love them enough to get up a little earlier so that I have time to pray for each of them by name? The only time I usually pray for them by name is when I have a specific request for them. (Please don't be offended! I hope we'll all still be on speaking terms by the time you finish reading this!)

I take the shortcut. Yup. I pray for my friends. I want them to draw closer to God. To be healthy and safe. I want them to be blessed in relationships with friends and family. So I mean well enough, but in the end... I'm taking the shortcut. What about you?

3 comments:

  1. So true.... I think these 'short cuts' often keep us from getting closer to God, but sometimes it is so hard to take the extra 3-5 minutes. Thanks for posting! =)

    ~TGWNN

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is very important to sometimes take those extra minutes... but God understands!
    and em we're still on speaking terms friend!!!! :) great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Emily. I'll admit that I've been guilty of the shortcut. =( So I can't get mad at you, right? ;)

    Anyways, I've been praying for my friends by name now.... =P

    thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!