Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Little Faith

I have been reading Know Why You Believe: Connecting Faith and Reason by Paul E. Little. Okay, maybe I should rephrase. I've been planning to read this book for about... two or three months. And I actually pulled it off my shelf and put it on my nightstand last Thursday. But I didn't really read any of it until this morning. But I just had to share some of what I read. Here's a small passage from the first chapter:

Faith is only as valid as the object in which it is placed. Trust an untested food, an unqualified doctor or a dishonest person, and the faith is not valid... Faith may be well intentioned but the object unproven, rendering the faith useless. Meager faith placed in a reliable object, however, will bring results. For instance, if you have weak faith in thick ice, the result is nonetheless positive: the ice holds your weight regardless of your strength of faith.


You know how Jesus said that if we have faith as big as a mustard seed, we could move mountains? You know, mustard seeds aren't very big at all. But, like the situation with the ice, if our faith is put in something tried and true, no matter how small our faith is, it will be rewarded. For a person of not-so-much faith like myself, this is so encouraging! Because even if I don't have nearly the amount of faith I would like to have, I do have some faith, and I know that my mustard faith is in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!