Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Looking Glass Chapter One

This is the first chapter of the book that I wrote for National Novel Writing Month. After writing mostly historical fiction and a few mysteries, a fantasy was a lot of fun. There was so little research to do because I could just make it all up! (I usually enjoy research, but I'll admit that it was lots of fun to just sit down and write without worrying about dates, locations, etc.) The words that I used can be used by anybody, but if you put them in the same order that I did, that's called stealing. And stealing is not recommended. And now, without any further delay, I present to you the first chapter of my fantasy novel!



Chapter One
Holly Spencer leaned her bike against the large oak tree in the cemetery and flopped down next to her grandfather's tombstone. It was so quiet and peaceful here! Holly loved to come here just to relax. She leaned her back up against the cool marble, closing her eyes. The gentle breeze played with her short blonde hair, making Holly smile. She hadn't had much time recently to think about simple things like her hair blowing against her face. Her brother Jared had just graduated from high school, and the parties and craziness just never ended. Holly opened her eyes and picked at a hole in the knee of her jeans. Crossing her long legs, she leaned back again. She missed her grandfather so much! Holly thought of all the wonderful times they had shared together, but the joy of reliving the past was once again interrupted by the thought of one of her last conversations with him. Holly bit her tongue and wondered...
"Holly?"
Whirling around at the sound of her name, Holly's mouth dropped open when she saw her older brother behind her. "Jared!" she exclaimed, "What are you doing here?" they both asked at the same moment. Jared laughed and sat down next to Holly. "I just came over here to get some time to think," he said, "Life is kinda crazy, isn't it?"
"Yeah," Holly replied.
"What was that look on your face a minute ago?" Jared asked, "Is something wrong?"
"Well..." Holly's voice trailed off, then she glanced at her brother sideways, "You know, Jared, we used to be so close! Then you had to go and grow up. A few years ago, I would've told you about this as soon as I had the chance. But now it's been almost a year, and I've just kept it all to myself."
"Are you going to tell me?"
"I don't know. You might think I'm being stupid."
"Try me." Jared said.
"First I'm going to ask you a question. Did grandpa say anything weird to you before he died?"
"Weird? No. The last thing he said to me was to give me some advice. He told me that things aren't always the way they look, so don't always believe my first impression. Something like that. Why?"
"Okay. I'll tell you, but promise to keep it a secret?" Holly waited for Jared's nod, then launched into her story. "We all knew that we didn't have much time left before grandpa's death. I hated to think about it, and I wanted everything to go on as normal. So I kept visiting him in the hospital after school, and we'd talk and work on a puzzle just like always. Then one day, grandpa didn't even want to sit up in bed to work on the puzzle. Instead, he asked me to sit down close to him and just listen for awhile. He told me about fighting in World War Two, and how brave he was when he left for France. He told me about some of the things he saw, and how they made him afraid. It was all very interesting, and I'm glad he told me. Until he came to this one part... it made me wonder if he was going mad. Jared," Holly's voice dropped to a whisper, "Grandpa told me that there are other worlds. And that he's been to one."
Jared's eyes widened in surprise. "Things aren't always as they seem..." he muttered, "Do you think that's what grandpa was talking about when he said that to me?"
"Maybe." Holly replied, "But you don't really think that he could've left earth, do you?"
"Did he tell you about it?"
Holly nodded and continued. "He said that he was in some forest in France. He'd been separated from his... clan of soldiers. Whatever you call it."
"His division?" Jared offered. Holly scrunched up her nose and said, "Whatever. Anyhow, he was lost in the woods, and stopped at this cottage to see if anyone could help him. The old woman who opened the door was ancient looking, but beautiful. He asked if she could help him and she said, 'Come in and have something warm to drink. I'll see you right.' So he went into the house. On one wall was a painting of one of the most beautiful women grandfather had ever seen. Her hair was blacker than a starless night, and her skin was as fair and white as clean snow. He commented to the old woman about the painting and she replied, 'Ah, yes. It is a painting of one of my ancestors. Perhaps you are familiar with her story?' Grandfather cleared his throat and said, 'If you'll tell me her name, I would be better able to tell you whether or not I'm familiar with her.' The old woman smiled and said, 'She was called Snow White. The looking glass on the wall is the one which was once owned by the evil queen.' Grandfather looked at her incredulously. 'How is that possible?' he asked. 'There are many worlds,' the old woman replied, 'And the world which I come from is called Aeroth. It is the land where most of your fairy tales come from, because it is the land where every girl finds her prince charming and every lad finds his princess bride. For many, it is the land of happily ever after.'"
Jared leaned forward and said eagerly, "And grandfather went to Aeroth?" Holly nodded. "How does it work? If we could try, then we would know for sure that grandfather was telling the truth."
"Jared! You believe the story?" Holly was excited, but startled at the same time. How could a boy who had just graduated high school believe in fairy stories and magical lands? She took a deep breath and continued, "Grandfather drank some coffee and ate a biscuit before he had worked up the courage to ask, 'How did you get here?' The woman smiled and said, 'That is my secret.' 'Well, then,' grandfather said, 'I have another question. Can I go to Aeroth?' He was quite surprised when the woman went to a desk and unlocked a little drawer, pulling out a small hand mirror. 'Yes. This and the looking glass on the wall are a pair. Apart they can only answer a few questions, but together, their power is incredible.' 'What do you mean?' Grandfather asked. 'Take this,' the woman commanded, 'and turn your back to the other mirror. The second you see the reflection of your reflection, you will be transported to the Aerothian seaside.' Grandfather took the mirror, his hand shaking. 'I thought there was only one mirror.' he said, stalling for time. He wasn't sure if he really wanted to do this. 'There were two. That is why there are different versions of the story here in your world. Some say the rhyme "Mirror mirror in my hand" while others say, "Mirror Mirror on the wall." Both are correct.' Grandfather nodded and stepped closer to the larger mirror. Looking into the small one, he saw his reflection, and then his eye fell on the reflection of his reflection and he was blinded by a bright, bright light."



What do you think? Anyone interested in reading more?

1 comment:

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!