Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Drawing Water

I'm giving a devotional speech tomorrow, and as I was pondering my topic, I remembered this post that I did awhile back. I thought that perhaps it would be a good one to share again. It was a good reminder for me!

[Originally posted to http://onerebelutionary.wordpress.com on August 14, 2008]

I am a plant. [Figuratively, of course, but let's just stay with the illusion.] Not only am I a plant, but I’m a plant that has been planted in good soil. The soil of God’s word, if you want to be specific. But there’s something to add to all of this. I have my own will. That’s where I differ from regular plants. See, plants grow without thinking about it, putting effort into it, or worrying. I, however, have to consciously decide that I am going to put my roots into God’s word and draw the water that He offers. God’s water is fit to my daily needs, too! Some days I need the water of patience, other days I need love. No matter what my needs are for the week, day, hour, or even minute, God has it there in His word.
Something that I find extremely interesting is the fact that roots remain unseen. No one will see the time that you and I spend in God’s word, but it will evidence itself when people see us as healthy plants.
Psalm 1: 1-3
Blessed is the man who walketh not in the counsels of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful, But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season: his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doesth shall prosper.

Everyone knows that passage, but don’t skim over it. I found that when I read this the other day and PAID ATTENTION, it was SO rich! Go through it again!
Jeremiah 17: 7&8
Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is. For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful [anxious] in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yeilding fruit.

I never saw that passage before (that I can remember) and I found it to be such a blessing to me!
Isaiah 58:11
And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat they bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

I hope that this has been a blessing to you. It’s what I’ve been learning. (Among other things.)
All of these thoughts were inspired by my devotions as I’m going through A Young Woman After God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George. This was from chapter two. I’ve really been enjoying this book and would highly recommend it. One thing to let ya’ll know is that she does not use the KJV, so I read my Bible alongside. It’s good to read another version, but I like the good ol’ KJV best.

I think I could add more to this now, but I'll just leave it where it is. I need to remember to draw water more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!