Friday, October 1, 2010

When God Writes Your Life Story (Chapter One)

Hello, everyone! I have started to read When God Writes Your Life Story by Eric and Leslie Ludy. It will be my third time, if I remember correctly. I hope to go through it one chapter each Friday until I'm through. Next Friday I will be in Florida, but I hope I'll have time to schedule a post before I leave.

Chapter One, The Endless Frontier had a lot of good stuff in it. I think you all would get much more out of reading the book for yourselves rather than just reading what I have to say. In this chapter, a lot is said about kids and their great imaginations and unconquered spirit. Children have that extra dose of faith in life that makes anything seem possible.

So what happens? Why is it that when we grow up, we have little to no faith? God Himself is lovingly penning the pages to each of our lives, He has infinite power, and He has promised us *so* many things. Yet we stay huddled up, stuck around a cozy campfire instead of conquering that endless frontier and doing great things for the faith. The Ludy's said it this way:

As little kids, we gravitate towards the impossible like moths to flame. While the older and "wiser"among us are caged in by their knowledge and maturity, little kids are free to dream impossible dreams and pursue impossible lives.
Are you familiar with that wise and mature caged in feeling? I think a lot of Christians today are. I am. Dreaming impossible dreams is too impractical.

Our Christian lives sadly play out more like PBS documentaries on the history of saddle stitching rather than the awe-inspiring epic adventures. It seems Hollywood is the only place we find conquering, heroic lives these days.
No joke. Many of the Christians I know, including myself, are quite happy with their mediocre lives. Leave the conquering and exploring to others. We'll support these wilderness Christians financially or even through prayer, but becoming one ourselves? No way! (I'm not belittling the importance - necessity -  of praying for and financially supporting missionaries and other servants of Christ. Just so you know.)

Now here's a passage I found especially convicting:
We get one step ahead of the culture, and then, for some strange reason, stop all forward movement. The majority of us may be one step ahead of the world when it comes to purity, spiritual disciplines, knowledge of Scripture, and understanding the problems of society. But what if being one step ahead of the world is ten thousand steps behind where God desires to take us? [...] Unfortunately, today's Christianity  breeds settlers rather than pioneers. It has bred men and woen who no longer comb the wilds of God's grace. And it's time we realize that knowing Christ is an endless frontier---a frontier into which we have taken but one measly step.

I'm pretty settled in, truth be told. Not just to the point where I've pitched my tent in a comfortable spot and stayed. I've actually built myself a nice home. What kind of shakeup will it take to get me back on that frontier, camping out on the goodness and faithfulness of God?
When will I step out and be ready to experience the ultimate adventure with the Author of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!