Thursday, July 29, 2010

Experiences at the Bank

A couple of months ago I opened a bank account. I've often wanted to do it before, but never really thought it would be worth it. Most of the time I only have about five dollars to my name. Do I need a bank to keep five dollars? No. But when it came to purchasing things online, I always wished I could have a bank account. That way I wouldn't have to use my mom's card and then pay her back.
Anyhow. I walked into the bank with a large amount of money. Or what I would think of as a large some of money. Anyone who has an allowance or is employed would scoff at me. Maybe.
Why do I keep interrupting myself? I dunno... But here's the story.

Trish*, the lady who helped me, was very friendly. She seemed a little hyper and maybe a tad clumsy, but I kind of liked her. She talked fast and kept having to go "check with her boss" about stuff, though. What's that all about? I mean, if she has to keep checking with her boss... maybe her boss should just be the one to help me? But what do I know about working at the bank? Umm.... Not much. Every time she went to chat with said boss, my dad and I just got to sit there for awhile. SoooOOOOooo much fun.
Finally we had almost everything figured out. We went to create an online account so that I can keep track of my spending on the internet. I felt a little uncomfortable because she created the account for me. She wanted to know a bunch of information. She was the one who typed in my email address and my new user name. Finally she slid the keyboard over to me and said, "Can you type in your password for me?" So I at least got to create my own password.
Having finished setting up my account, we (Trish and I) went across the bank to the tellers to make my first deposit. The young man who took care of my deposit was Barney*. While we're waiting for him to do everything that he needs to do, Trish is acting like my best friend and as if she's known me since kindergarten... telling Barney my likes and dislikes. (For Pete's sake, she acted like she knew *everything* about me and coulda told him whether or not I'd flossed that day!) And she's telling Barney how cute I am and that I'm not currently dating. I didn't realize how much small talk she'd made earlier until now. She remembered every. little. thing that I had said to her. And she kept elbowing me like I was supposed to laugh, or half-hugging me when she was trying to point out a good quality she had found in me. It was the longest bank deposit I've ever made.
As we left later, Trish said that she'd had fun talking to me, to remember to come again, and that she didn't think my dad approved of her but she thought I was really nice. I walked out and got into the car. My dad said something along the lines of Trish being a nutball and that taking way too long, but I just said that it was her personality and that I kind of liked her. (Buddy-buddy things aside.)
Later, as I looked through the bank information Trish had given me, I shook my head and smiled. Her slightly flighty personality had made it's way into my information via some very interesting spelling, but I had a lot of other things on my mind. So I forgot about my bank account. My grandparents arrived a couple of days later, and before they even left I was off to Arizona!
When I got home from my travels, I decided to look at my bank account. I'd kept careful track of the times I'd used my debit card, but I wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed anything. So... I went to the bank website and tried to log in. Key word: tried. Multiple times. I tried leaving the numbers off of my user name. Maybe Trish had overlooked them. I tried spelling it wrong. A lot of people throw in a 'g' on the end of ramblin. Nothing worked. So I had to go through this whole process to get into my account and change my username so that I could... get into my account. But I finally got in and lo and behold... I'd managed to keep perfect track of my spending down to the last penny! Happy day!
So now I can spend my own money online and not worry about paying anyone back. And I can keep track of my online spending online. =D
So there's some ramblin about my life.

And just for the record: Spelling matters.

*Names changed to protect the guilty.

P.S. Barney's name was going to be Fred... But Fred didn't seem right. And whenever I hear the name Fred, I think of Barney. And since Barney fit better, I called him Barney. Hooray for you if you know what I'm talking about! ;)

4 comments:

  1. LOL. That is funny. You have a wonderful writing style. =D My dad would have called Trish the same thing that your dad did... as a matter of fact, I would have too. =P

    Congrats on handling her well... it's good experience, ya know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... she probably still teases Barney about you. And a hundred other girls. lol You should go see her again!! I'm sure she'd love to hang out sometime. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA... this was a hilarious post, Emily! Sounds like an interestng experience. :D I love your writing style... very fun and easy to read. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny! Loved the post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!