Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Youtube Tuesday - Christian Movies

Today I thought I'd mention some different Christian movies and show you their trailers. I have seen all but the last of these and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.



Come What May isn't as professionally done as most of the movies you might watch, but it's still enjoyable. It's somewhere between Facing the Giants and Flywheel in film quality. The story line was great, though!



Facing the Giants is probably my favorite Christian film of all time! The acting, filming, and story are all wonderful, and I find it to be an excellent reminder that NOTHING is impossible with God.



Time Changer is also an excellent Christian film. I don't think it's as widely known as Facing the Giants and Fireproof, but I think that everyone should see it. It gives me the I-need-to-do-something-about-this chills every. single. time.



Flywheel is a great movie because of the story. Honestly, if you look too hard at the acting or at the filming, you probably won't like this movie very much. But the story! It redeems the quality as far as I'm concerned. I know that other people love the story but still can't watch the movie because they focus too much on the quality. =(



Fireproof is a close second to Facing the Giants. What an incredible movie! There are so many touching moments. I *ahem* (can't believe I'm admitting this but) tend to be rather emotional when I'm watching movies. Well, so far as emotion goes, Fireproof is one of those that finds me with tears rolling down my cheeks more than once in the movie. Sherwood is definitely cranking out some good material!

Last, I want to talk a bit about the newest Christian film to hit the big screen. To Save a Life. Before I say anything about the movie, here's the trailer:



What's the first thing you notice about this movie? For me, it was the bold PG-13 Parents Strongly Cautioned before the trailer even began. What? Okay, so obviously not all Christians are going to have the CLEAN stories that I love so much in Sherwood's films. But then read the rest: Mature thematic elements involving teen suicide, teen drinking, some drug content, disturbing images and sexuality. WHOA! A "Christian" film. After reading all of that, I decided that this was one of those times that the word 'Christian' needed to be put in quotation marks. What exactly is the message of this film supposed to be, anyhow? Here's a part of the Plugged In review:

The Christian film industry still has a ways to go before it can tangle with Hollywood's best. And, more significantly, Christian audiences may be legitimately troubled by some of this film's grittier aspects: The language. The drinking. The dope smoking. The cutting. The suicide. And the scene that shows the lead-up to teen sex.

Britts understands those concerns.

"We never really set out to make a Christian film," he says. "We said we wanted to make a film for teenagers that would never set foot in a church but would go to the movies—something that would reach them. … We wanted to make a movie that really mattered, and that empowered students to be able to reach out to their friends."


I admit, if I could cut out the language etc etc etc, I would really want to see this film. It sounds great! BUT (and that's a big but) I don't really want to encourage Christians to continue with this line of thinking. "You have to be a part of the world in order to reach the world." It screams out from the music that Christians are listening to, the clothes that they're wearing, the movies they're watching, and now, the movies that they are making. Wrong attitudes can be shown without language. The topic of immorality can be approached without showing lead-ups. A changed heart can be seen without the physical evidence of quitting drugs and alcohol. The world can be reached better if we choose to keep ourselves separated completely from their ways.

There's my two cents worth. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. If any of you know of another Christian film that I should mention, please let me know! I would love to watch it and review it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so right em!!! i love the 3 sherwood movies... and i think excuses can be made for flywheel because it was their first movie - then came facing the giants and then fireproof and now courageous...
    i totally agree with you on the last one - people these days label everything as Christian and thus deceive our brothers and sisters in the lord who are not watching out for that stuff...
    havne't watched come what may yet but hope 2 soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the last on Emily. I'd put christian in quotation marks in that aspect as well. Good point.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!