Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Hey, everybody! I just wanted to wish you all a happy new year and say that I'm really excited about the potential that 2010 has. I really hope that all of us will see incredible growth in our spiritual lives. Thanks to everyone who has read my blog: ya'll are awesome! One resolution I think that you could benefit from is to leave more comments here, but I guess that's just my idea of things. =D
My sister Erica and friend Bailey are leaving a little later today to go to Athens, Georgia for a Bible Quizzing tournament. I have to admit that, though they will be back on Sunday, I will miss them both. I wish them the best of luck, though, and hope that they come home with a trophy or three. =D
Today I'm going bowling, and I should go check my phone for any messages to see if I managed to convince my friend Erin to come. =) I hope she'll make it, but I suppose I shall determine to have fun regardless.
I don't have much else to say right now, but I might say more later. I actually have some book-related things to share that I've taken way too long to get around to. =D Before I go, though, I'll share the conclusion of what Focus on the Family has to say about the new Sherlock Holmes movie. This is from the review on pluggedin.com


We ultra-modern culture consumers love our fictional heroes. It doesn’t matter if they’re 10 years old, 100 or 1,000. And if we haven’t seen them for a generation or so, we can’t help but pick them up again, dust them off and … change everything about them.

Mickey Mouse is now set for a makeover in the Wii game Epic Mickey. And rumor has it that Superman, in his next feature film, will turn dark and brooding.

Sherlock Holmes? Well, he’s always been a brooder. So what could Guy Ritchie do to make this 19th century detective a 21st century box-office draw? Make him more violent, of course! Pummel audiences with roundhouse kicks, Victorian nunchucks and outsized explosions! And I haven't even gotten to the sinister Satanic cult and the occult rituals complete with pentagrams and dripping blood. We can’t expect people to sit in a theater and marvel at a man’s bare-brained brilliance for two hours, can we? We don’t have that kind of attention span anymore!

The deerstalker cap is gone, arguably a good thing. And Holmes doesn’t do cocaine and morphine the way Doyle wrote him.

But there’s a certain irony in the idea that in an age when technology is king and high school nerds go to class reunions driving Corvettes and Aston Martins after launching billion-dollar Internet start-ups, we somehow can’t embrace the essentially geeky Holmes. No, we must tweak him with a little Charles Bronson, a little Jackie Chan and a little Severus Snape.

What’s next? Hercule Poirot as an eccentric Belgian weight lifter and sometime rave DJ? Miss Marple as an angsty, twentysomething supermodel?

Maybe I’ll just read a book.


I was disgusted with this movie when I saw the trailer, and now I have to admit to being beyond disgusted. And some of my friends are talking about watching this thing! I shall try not to disown you - I do love you, after all. But this is disgusting filth and I can't believe that it was even made.

End of rant. Before I get going any more. lol

Your true Sherlock Holmes fan blogger,

Emily Rose

3 comments:

  1. If I resolve to leave more comments, will you resolve to blog more? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then, I will try to leave more comments. =P

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!