Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Elementary, My Dear Watson, Elementary

What is so elementary? The reasons I'm not going to watch the new Sherlock Holmes movie when it comes out this Christmas. I have heard several people (who claim to be Sherlock fans) say that they are really looking forward to it, so I went and watched the trailer. At the end, two words came to mind. "Excuse me?" First of all, it doesn't really look like a movie a Christian should be watching - if stuff like THAT is on the TRAILER, what in the world is the movie going to be like? Second, it doesn't look like a good movie for a true Sherlock Holmes fan.

In spite of the fact that the actors that were chosen didn't seem accurate to me, that was by far the least of my worries. (Any period drama fans recognize Lestrade? I thought I was going to die. It's Mr. Pancks from Little Dorrit!) Anyhow, correct me if I'm wrong, but Sherlock Holmes was never involved with women. The closest I recall him coming to that particular evil was from A Scandal in Bohemia. And if I remember correctly, the reason he thought her an "exceptional woman" was because she'd outsmarted him - not because she'd stripped down to her rather lust-provoking red and black undergarments! Seriously! And then you throw in the explosive stuff. Totally not Sherlock. He had run-ins with snakes. He overdosed once or twice while undercover in drug dens. He narrowly avoided death by being squashed by --- what was it, a moving ceiling? But I don't recall any explosives. The movie looked entirely too Hollywood to be the Holmes I know and love. Some of his adventures WERE adventurous. Several of them were quite dangerous. But where's the guy who helps a distraught man find his missing bride? Where's the kind gentleman who solved the mystery of Mr. St. Clair after his wife came to tell of his long absence? And while we're on the subject, where is the Englishman in him? I certainly didn't see it in the trailer. Oh, and as disgusted as I was with much of said trailer, nothing could compare to the last few seconds. I am ashamed to know that I even saw it.

Perhaps you think me entirely too judgmental.

Perhaps you think me legalistic.

Perhaps your own mind has been warped by the blatant sin in movies today.

Judge me if you will.

Criticize me if you want.

Watch the movie for all I care.

But I won't change.

No sirree, I will not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!