Monday, October 12, 2009

A little confusion with Spanish...

This year I'm learning Spanish. It went really well for the first 7 weeks, but now I have hit a tough spot. It's called "right vs. left" or, "derecha vs. izquierda" (I don't know if I spelled that right...)

I have always been directionally challenged. Even though I've reached the ripe old age of 17, I still use my hands to tell directions. How? Quite simple, actually. I have a mole or birthmark or something of that sort on my right hand. All I have to do is look at one of my palms and I know right from left. My right palm has this little mark on it, and my left palm is blank.

Wait, how does this apply to Spanish? Well, I'm to the part where I'm supposed to learn right from left. The problem is, I can't even do it in ENGLISH... so Spanish has been a bit of a problem. I'm using Rosetta Stone, and as many of you will probably know, they give you a phrase and show four pictures, leaving you to click on the picture that matches the phrase. Pretty easy stuff, really. I mean, if it says "elephant" I'm not going to click on a picture of a woman. But if it says, "The ball is in the woman's right hand..." AAAAAAAAAAAACK! Here is the problem:

1. I already have right vs. left problems

2. I'm new at this Spanish thing

3. MY right is the PICTURE'S left!!!

So if you're in my neighborhood and you hear a scream between 10:30 and 11:15, you may just shrug and say, "Ah, Emily is doing her Spanish." =D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line! I love to hear from my readers!